Regional Mathematics Olympiad (RMO)
Regional Mathematics Olympiad (RMO) is an acronym of RMO. The RMO leads to participation of Indian students in the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO). It is organized by Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE) on behalf of the National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM). The RMO aims to spot Mathematical talent among pre-university students in the country. RMO is conducted in 25 regions all over the country every year in the month of October. In this article, we are going to provide the detailed information.
About PRMO (Pre Regional Mathematical Olympiad)
PRMO is a Mathematical Olympiad conducted for 25 regions of India and the shortlisted candidates are given chance to appear in RMO which leads to the International Olympiads. The PMRO is the first stage of All India Mathematical Olympiad. The students who dream to represent India in International Mathematical Olympiad have to appear first at PRMO.
The RMO is conducted in 25 regions all over the country. It is quite obvious that student’s school will be an exam centre for Regional Mathematics Olympiad (RMO) but if not so, there are three Regional Coordinators (RCs) assigned to handle such requests. The three RCs are Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS) and Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathana (KVS).
RMO Eligibility Criteria
The RMO eligibility criteria are simple to understand. The eligibility criteria to appear in Regional Mathematics Olympiad (RMO) are given below:
- Must be a citizen of India.
- Should be born on or after August 1, 1998.
- Must be currently studying in class XI or below.
- Must not have commenced (or planning to commence) studies in a university or equivalent institution by 1st June, 2017.
Note: Students studying in class XII are not eligible for Regional Mathematics Olympiad-2017.
The syllabus for Regional Mathematics Olympiad 2017 is pre-degree college Mathematics. The RMO-2017 Syllabus is in a sense spread over class XI and XII levels, but the problems under each topic involve high level of difficulty and sophistication. The topics covered are given below:
|• Arithmetic of Integers||• Inequalities|
|• Geometry||• Elementary Combinatorics|
|•Quadratic Equations & Expressions||• Probability Theory|
|• Trigonometry||• Number Theory|
|• Co-ordinate Geometry||• Finite Series & Complex Numbers|
|• System of Linear Equations||• Elementary Graph Theory|
|• Permutations & Combinations||• Factorization of Polynomial|
Eligibility Criteria for PRMO:
Region: All India
Age: Maximum 19 years
PMRO 2017 Reward
- The top 300 students are who qualified in a machine correctable test scheduled to be held on 8 Oct’ 2017 will be selected to write RMO. Based on the performance in RMO, 35 students are selected for INMO which is scheduled to be held on 3rd Sunday of January 2018. These students will be chosen as INMO awardees.
- Students who will qualify in INMO will be selected for 1-month training at International Mathematical Olympiad Training Camp (IMOTC) Mumbai and the students who have not qualified, are awarded the INMO Certificate of Merit.
- In last, 6 students are finalised to represent India at the IMO 2018. The top 6 students will have a chance to avail a number of scholarships for study in the future.